Topic: Screensavers for OSX?

Is InstantStorm going to be able to make screensavers for both Windows and Mac OSX in the future?

Re: Screensavers for OSX?

Hello,
I gues we've already answered this question somewhere in this forum.
Anyway, we're definitely not planning Mac OS support. You know, it will take so much effort to learn the architecture of OS X screensavers and how Flash files can be played within 3rd party applications. Plus, Apple computers are pretty expensive, like you can get a high performance PC for a price of an average Mac. And if we supported OS X, the program would never get even 1/10 of the current number of Windows users. We're sorry again.

Jan Kolařík
InstantStorm Developer

Please support our new non-governmental organization for improving public transit in our city – MHD Uherské Hradiště

I see, yes Apple computers are expensive and not developer friendly as well.. hmm

this probably means no linux then?

Well, I've thought about linux support, but we're definitely not planning it right in the next InstantStorm version. There's no problem in compiling the code for linux, but (as Opaquit already said for Apple, same with linux) we'd have to study linux architecture as well.

We're now focusing on rewriting InstantStorm's screensaver engine (almost done) and adding new features (see New features section).

Maybe in future wink Personally, I' d like to have linux support, but it's not as important as the stuff we focus on, and what's more linux is used only by few percent of users.

Ondrej Vaverka
InstantStorm Developer

Hi guys,

thanks for Instantstorm. I've used it several times and I really like it. I think it's the best screensaver tool, and it's free :-)

I just wanted to let you know that I've recently published a first beta of "SWF Screensaver for Mac" because there's nothing like Instantstorm for Mac OS X. All solutions are commercial and really expensive.

Basically, "SWF Screensaver for Mac" is a native mac screensaver where you just have to copy your own swf in the package.

The web site is http://www.video-flash.de/swf-screensaver-for-mac/

Florian

Hi, looks like an awesome app. Every time someone asks us about a Mac release, we'll tell them to check out your site! As soon as we get our hands on Leopard or an older OS X release, we'll try it out. smile

Jan Kolařík
InstantStorm Developer

Please support our new non-governmental organization for improving public transit in our city – MHD Uherské Hradiště

Hi,
great stuff! Thank you for letting us know!

Ondrej Vaverka
InstantStorm Developer

Just want to vouch for SWF Screensaver for Mac.
I actually first created a mac screensaver with said program and then Googled my way to InstantStorm to do a Windows version.

Both applications are great!

Cool smile Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,
I just want to let you know that I've changed the size of the config panel in "SWF Screensaver for Mac" to the same dimensions as Instantstorm (400x400).
So exactly the same config swf file can be used for both tools.

It looks like this:
http://flickr.com/photos/27351191@N08/2 … 8/sizes/l/